If you’re always the one making all the sacrifices in your relationship, it’s time to talk to someone.
Codependency is a pattern of behavior in which a person depends upon the approval of others for their self-worth and identity. A big sign that you are at risk of being in a codependent relationship if it seems like your sense of purpose in life wraps around making sacrifices for another person.
Symptoms of codependency include:
- Always pleasing others at the cost of your well-being
- Feeling used or underappreciated
- Feeling responsible for others’ feeling or problems
- Making excuses for others’ bad behavior
- Fear of being alone or out of a relationship
- A strong desire to have people like you
- Taking everything personally
Relationships should be a two-way street in which each partner feels respected, validated, honored and loved. One person should not be doing all the work of making everyone happy or keeping the relationship together.
In conclusion, if you think you or someone you love may be codependent, find help and hope at one of these local organizations.